PROPER CREDIT CARD HANDLING

I Work in Credit Cards. I Still Don't Trust Myself With One.

A confession from inside the industry

I work in credit cards. I still don't trust myself with one.

Five ways to break the cycle, from someone who sees how it starts and has lived inside it too.

Technology changed the way we pay for almost everything, and nothing did it more thoroughly than the credit card. It turned buying something into a single tap, convenient, fast, and, for me, essentially free.

I've spent my career in credit card services. Because of that, my own card comes with the annual fee waived, one of the quiet perks of the job. Even so, three years ago I closed it. Not over the fee. Over what the card made easy: a credit limit that felt less like a safety net and more like an invitation, and a habit I didn't want to build.

Today I carry exactly one card, issued by another bank, kept for emergencies and little else.

The cycle finds you anyway

That single card hasn't made me immune. Some months, spending gets ahead of the budget, and the balance can't be cleared in full. What follows is familiar to a lot of cardholders: you make a payment, interest is charged anyway, and the balance barely moves.

Illustrative example, a familiar month

Previous balance₱69,440.00
Payment made₱8,400.00
Interest charged ₱4,900.00
New balance₱65,940.00

₱8,400.00 went out. Only ₱3,500.00 of it actually reduced the debt, the rest paid for last month.

The debt stops feeling like a number and starts to feel like weight. It's the specific, quiet stress of watching interest eat a payment before it ever reaches the principal.

The approval is the product

Working inside the industry, I see the other half of the story too. Approvals move faster when agents earn on commission, and a fast approval isn't always a careful one. Credit limits get extended to people least equipped to absorb a bad month and the ones who feel that hardest tend to be lower-income cardholders, the same group a bigger limit was never going to help.

None of this requires bad intent. It's simply what happens when a product is built to be used, and the people selling it are rewarded for saying yes.

A card doesn't ask "need" or "want"

A card doesn't ask whether a purchase is a need or a want, it just approves it.

That's how so many people, myself included, end up with debt they never planned for. Rarely from one bad decision. Almost always from a hundred small ones that each felt harmless on its own, until the statement arrived and turned harmless into despair.

The generation before us managed money without any of this. Cash ran out, spending stopped, the ceiling was built into the method. There's something worth borrowing back from that: not the absence of credit, but the discipline that came with its absence.

Five rules that keep one card from becoming a problem

I've talked with people who owe far more than I ever have, some avoiding calls from collectors just to get through the week. I don't have a fix for that. What I do have is a short list that has kept my own card in its place.

  • Leave the card at home

    Carrying it daily invites impulse spending. Reserve it for genuine emergencies, not convenience.

  • Set the limit before you spend it

    Decide on a spending cap and a repayment plan before you swipe, not after the statement tells you what you owe.

  • Say it out loud to someone

    Tell a person outside the situation what you're planning to buy. It's harder to talk yourself into a bad purchase when someone else is listening.

  • Pay it down in pieces

    A large balance is easier to face, and to actually clear, in planned installments than in one impossible lump sum.

  • Wait a day

    Give any non-essential purchase, especially the catalog or checkout-page kind, 24 hours before you commit to it.

If any part of this sounds familiar, you're not alone in it and you don't have to sort it out alone either. I'd like to hear how you've handled your own version of this: what worked, what didn't, what you wish someone had told you sooner.

Thank you for reading. Let's talk in the comments.

6 Comments

  1. Yes, it makes me poorer and poorer because every time I am unable to pay the whole amount I borrowed, I am already charge 3% of it, even when I am able to pay all, at the end of the year, I still have to pay for the annual fee. But sometimes I have to choice.

    Thanks anyway for the reminder on how to avoid over spending using credit card. It's a good info. I know it will be of help.

    Credit card user here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So its question time, do we get the opportunity to
    ask you something?

    My website Best Unsecured Loans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I just shared this myself. It's well funny.

    Look into my web blog best bank Loans

    ReplyDelete
  4. Τoday's plan is Uni revision...must..get some done....

    Feel free to visit my blog post; Best Small loans

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now thеn, its question tіme,
    do we get the chance to аѕk a difficult question?


    Feel frеe to νisit mу weblоg .
    .. best secured loans

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks as though mу tablet has decided to work propеrly this time,
    I can finally reply. Juѕt to say, I would
    not bother myself.

    mу website - wakacyjneprzygody.pl

    ReplyDelete